PIONEER HI-BRED INTERNATIONAL, INC.
GENERAL JOB DESCRIPTION
Senior Research Scientist
Country Manager and TC&D Director
Trait Characterization & Development
Los Banos, Philippines
JOB PURPOSE (General Summary)
The Trait Characterization and Development (TC&D) Department is the research group accountable for delivering trait efficacy and agronomic performance data necessary for the selection, registration, and commercialization of new transgenic trait events globally. This position will provide functional leadership, research expertise and operational oversight for TC&D trait development projects in the Philippines and other regions of Southeast Asia as well as provide the foundation for future TC&D growth in the region. In addition, this position will be part of a global team responsible for performance characterization of insect control and herbicide tolerance traits as well as seed production technology (SPT) across crops to enable timely acquisition and interpretation of data for the development of insect and weed control options for Southeast Asian markets while working cross functionally with a variety of key company and external stakeholders.
- Provide cross functional technical leadership and operational oversight for the design and implementation of multiple projects to deliver relevant trait efficacy and agronomic performance data necessary for the selection, registration, and commercialization of new transgenic trait events across crops in Southeast Asia.
- Plan, coordinate and lead comprehensive transgenic efficacy evaluation research program for input traits for SE Asia with a primary focus on maize. Initiate and execute laboratory, greenhouse, and/or field efficacy characterization experiments in the Philippines and other geographies with pre-commercial insect control and herbicide traits alone or in stacks with existing traits against key pests of maize and rice. Will involve coordinating with internal Pioneer scientists and/or external collaborators to place regulated research trials and oversee effective execution to completion.
- Participate on cross-functional, multidisciplinary teams within Pioneer charged with determining current and future data needs as well as planning, management, and execution of advancement and development plans for pre-commercial insect control and herbicide tolerance traits. Key internal partners include scientists in Product Development, Insect Resistance Management, and Regulatory Sciences.
- Lead the analysis and interpretation of results of experimental data from laboratory, greenhouse, and field trials to characterize the efficacy of pipeline traits against key target pests across multiple environments, relative to the product concept criteria. Makes recommendations based on research program results.
- Work with Regulatory Science personnel to ensure efficacy trials are conducted safely, documented, and summarized following Pioneer Regulatory Compliance best practices to maintain regulatory credibility with key internal and external stakeholders involved the development, registration, and marketing of commercial traits and crops.
- Assist Pioneer global TC&D scientists in leveraging experience for the development and execution of standardized protocols for evaluating the efficacy of insect control and herbicide traits. Provide alignment with internal partners to facilitate smooth and timely flow of materials and information through the pipeline and effectively communicate pipeline status to leadership.
- Responsible for continuously updating his/her own scientific background in research areas relevant to insect trait characterization and development, with the ability to prepare materials for inclusion in patent applications and/or external publications when appropriate.
- Recruit, hire, orient, supervise, and evaluate employees’ performance.
- Implements and monitors safe working practices and acts as a mentor to TCD staff to insure alignment with Core Values
- Ensure that support resources are sufficient and available at the correct period of time to meet multiple project goals that often overlap during the same period of time.
- Have the ability to modify plans or find alternative solutions on very short notice when unforeseen circumstances and/or resource constraints arise, often from remote locations.
- Determining steps necessary to effectively characterize the efficacy of an IC trait and where to conduct the experiments when seed or insect resources may be limited to deliver quality data for making advancement decisions.
- Critically evaluates resource allocation needs to balance competing requirements of multiple projects
- Provides recommendations and takes personal accountability for meeting timeline commitments and quality of data
Describe the minimum education, experience, certifications, licenses, physical demands, working conditions and knowledge skills and abilities needed to perform the position.
Ph.D. in entomology, molecular biology, plant physiology or other suitable scientific field or equivalent educational and work experience.
Minimum 5-6 years of agricultural biotechnology technical management experience, industrial setting strongly preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Strong knowledge of entomology and trait characterization methodologies, with emphasis on relevant corn experience
- Technical excellence and leadership in field trial design and execution
- Excellent oral and written communication and interpersonal skills and the ability to lead and work within multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural teams
- Strong project management skills and the ability to balance the needs of multiple projects.
Innovation, sustainable customer relationships, building winning teams, good communicator and coach, efficient decision maker, drives execution, demonstrated leadership in people management, ability to influence, lead and motivate individuals and groups.
Functional (Technical) Competencies
Entomology, plant physiology, plant genetics, field trial design and operations, plant health and disease management
The above is intended to describe the general content of and requirements for the performance of this job. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements. The principal duties and responsibilities enumerated are all essential job functions except those that begin with the word “May”.